Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2008 12:32 AM
Subject: GBSPS Hurricane Ike Status Report
The Good News
1) The Strickler Building made it okay through the storm
2) Gasoline is now available without waiting in League City.
3) Free Emergency food(MRE\'s), bottled water and ice are available at the Target parking lot on Hwy 2094 in Kemah and the wait is very short. The Salvation Army is serving free hot meals in the same area, lunch and
dinner. Really great folks. Came in from the east coast.
4) I have a generator at my office in Houston and Jan and I have been staying there with 3 grandsons and 5 cats.
The Bad News
1) Some salt water seeped up through the floor in the Strickler Building and the carpets will need to be replaced.
2) The Elks Club, where we were to hold out annual auction/dinner meeting in two weeks sustained serious flooding and water damage and will not be available to us.
3) Marvin Frank lost his boat to the storm.
4) Both Lakewood Yacht Club and Houston Yacht Club had severe damage with many large boats sunk and/or tossed up on the beach. Lakewood has a lot of trees down and the club house and ball room had severe water damage and the interiors are being gutted.
5) It is likely that the in the water boat show for Oct 2-5 will be cancelled.
6) I had 3 feet of water come into our house. (53 years old, never had water inside) Much of our furnishings were safe in dry storage as we are selling the house (Hopefully).
More news as it develops
Yours for safe boating
P/C Joe L. Jordan, AP
Galveston Bay Sail and Power Squadron
PO Box 640
Kemah TX 77565-0640
713 680-3181 ofc
713 301-5523 cell
Shirley D. Heald on 9/22/2008 8:46 PM